Last Updated on January 6, 2022 by Tracy Jackson
Writing screenplays is no longer a distant dream. As a screenwriter, all you need is the best screenwriting software to ensure that your writing process is smooth and your final production is top-notch.
So, how do you find the best screenwriting software tools?
If you’re just starting your career, how do you get script writing software within your budget?
In this post, I will talk about what screenplay software is, what are the benefits of using professional screenwriting software, and which are the best screenwriting software available today.
I will also talk about the features you need to look for when you are choosing script writing software.
So without wasting much time, let’s begin!
Disclaimer: If you buy something using the links in this article, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Know that I only promote stuff that I use and trust for the sake of my readers and the reputation of this site.
Table of Contents
Best Screenwriting Software
2. Fade In
3. Final Draft
4. Highland 2
5. KIT Scenarist
6. Movie Magic Screenwriter
7. Page 2 Stage
12. Studio Binder
14. Writer Duet
What Is Screenwriting Software?
Before we see the best screenwriting software, let’s first briefly take a look at what script writing software actually is.
Screenplay software (or screen writing software) is a tool that helps screenplay writers write professional screenplays and scripts without much hassle.
Unlike a word processor like Microsoft Word, screenplay software has specialized tools that help with the various aspects of the screenwriting process.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Screenwriting Software?
There are many benefits of using the best screenwriting software to write scripts.
Here are some of the advantages of using screenwriting software tools:
- Spell check and grammar corrections to make the writing process smooth
- Premade screenwriting templates
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Drag-and-drop screenplay builder
- Real-time collaboration with other multiple writers and users
- Quick access to scenes and other resources
- Ability to add notes or comments
- Story maps
- Ability to export and import scripts
- Cloud-based software integration with third-party apps
- Compatibility and synchronization with multiple devices
Best Screenwriting Software
Now that we’ve seen the basic features of industry-standard screenwriting software, let’s look at some of the best screenplay writing tools that will help you through your screenwriting process.
Celtx is a cloud-based script writing software that has more than 6 million users worldwide. It is one of the best screenwriting software you could invest in as a screenwriter.
Celtx is designed for large teams with multiple users who would like to collaborate and access files from one source. This screenplay software has an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive interface that helps newbies who want a simple platform to start writing.
- Easy collaboration – multiple users can access and work on documents in multiple file formats simultaneously.
- Fully featured modules that will guide you through the production process.
- Cloud-based screenwriting tool – automatic backups, access from multiple devices, and security features.
- Scriptwriting editors
- Storyboarding modules
- Call sheets
With advanced features and a free demo version (14 days demo), Celtx is a great choice if you are just starting out.
Celtx pricing starts at $7.50 per month for 1 user and goes up depending on the features you want and the number of users that will use the platform.